Wednesday 21 April 2010

Rest in Peace Keith

It was with genuine sadness that I learnt of the demise of one of hip hop's greats this week - Guru of Gang Starr and Jazzmatazz fame finally lost his battle to cancer. These events often pass me by a bit, I'm not one to break out the black armbands the moment a musical favourite passes, but Guru's voice was a huge part of my life. 'Code of the Streets' immediately transports me back to a time driving round looking for skate spots, and in my mind's eye I can still see the cover of the 411 skate video which contained 'No Time To Play' oversome US contest footage. I remember sending my mum out to pick up the Jazzmatazz album as I had flu but NEEDED it on release day and I have fond memories of playing 'She Knows What She Wants' at one of my first DJ gigs in London way back when.

Politics aside, his work with Premier will stand the test of time and is up there with the best hip hop ever made. In fact, while the likes of Nas, Biggie and the Wu got the headlines and the 'GOAT' plaudits, I felt Guru and Gang Starr were always sitting at the top table too.

Remember the music, and a pioneer with a unique voice.
Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal.

No comments: